Skip to main content
Bowdoin College Library

OneSearch: About OneSearch

About OneSearch

What is OneSearch?

OneSearch is the single most comprehensive tool for searching the Library's print and electronic resources, containing over a billion records with new resources added monthly.

OneSearch  includes:

  • Full text of over 90% of the Library's electronic journal and newspaper subscriptions and citations to most of the remaining 10%
  • CBBcat, the shared catalog of Colby, Bates, and Bowdoin
  • Full text of most of our e-books
  • Full text of books reviews and  many reference sources
  • Citations to:
    • many of the Library's abstracting & indexing databases (e.g., America: History & Life, PsycInfo)
    • many of our audio and video resources, with links to the content
    • dissertations, with links to content
    • the Library's manuscript collections
  • Bowdoin Digital Commons
  • Hathi Trust publicly-available e-books
  • Publicly available resources from other libraries and institutions

Why aren't all of the Library's resources in OneSearch?

SerialsSolutions, our OneSearch service provider, contracts directly with individual e-book and journal publishers and other content vendors to make available full text resources and citations through this unified database.  Some publishers choose not to participate, but new publisher content is added regularly.

What if I want to access individual databases licensed by the Bowdoin Library?

OneSearch is a great place to start your research and will often give you the results you need.  But there will be times, especially when doing more advanced research, when it may be better to directly search one of the Library's other databases.  This is especially relevant when you would like to take advantage of search features unique to subject-specific databases.  All of our databases are available by subject or alphabetically from the Articles & Databases tab on the Library homepage.

Bowdoin College Library
3000 College Station
Brunswick, ME 04011
Ask Us!
Send Feedback/Report a Problem